Monday, August 22, 2011

Our Kid Can Climb

***Another pictureless post...sorry...I am currently blogging purely for the sake of documenting and Connor's baby book doesn't technically require me to add pictures...some things I just need a date or whatever...so...pictures will return to the blog...one day...***


Have I mentioned that my child is active and that he has started climbing? He started crawling out of his pack n' play about a month ago. It didn't happen ALL the time and usually it only happened after a nap was over...not really a huge deal and he isn't generally sleeping it it very often either.


He mastered the art of crawling into his highchair on his own many months ago and really that has been convenient for us. We ask him to get into his chair at meal times and he does, no complaints on that front.


A week ago he climbed into the kitchen sink and turned the water on himself...oh boy! I peel him off the cupboard multiple times most days. Generally while I am peeling him away he is saying "No climb in sink." Yep...he knows he shouldn't but he still does it.


Well...last night...my final source of "security" was breached. Connor figured out how to climb out of his crib!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( The one remaining place in my house that seemed to be safe and sound & could confine my active little man was now a new juggle gym. This discovery came on the tail end of a very long and very tiring weekend for this pregnant mommy. Teething (I think?) had him up at night & waking EARLY in the AM. We were also at the lake for the weekend so the pack n' play was not cutting it to keep him confined at all. I was dead tired and just ready to collapse in bed myself. I put Connor to bed, went down stairs to brush my teeth and soon after I heard a noise from upstairs. A quick stop at the bottom of the steps and I spotted striped PJ pants in the doorway of MY BEDROOM...WHAT!?!! I returned him to his crib, reminded him that it was time to sleep & he needed to stay in his crib (HA!!!!) and walked out of the room again. Less than 30 seconds later I met him in the hallway outside his door (yeah...did I mention he can open some doors now too?!) Back to the bedroom we went, I laid him back down & to make an 1 hour+ story a little shorter I ended up sitting on the floor next to his crib (eventually in tears...me, not Connor) until he gave in and fell asleep.


Sometimes motherhood is really hard...especially when you are REALLY...REALLY tired.


So...for the purpose of documenting this momentous event...there you have it...our kid can climb.

I am sure I'll find him on top of the refrigerator one day...and eventually at the tops of trees. Rick & I can't pass the buck on this one...we were both climbers and have CLEARLY passed the gene on to Connor.


So...if you have/had kids that were eventually forced out of their cribs and moved into toddler beds because they were getting too big, or never really got that climbing gene, consider yourself lucky. Me, I will still consider myself lucky (becuase my little man is adorable & loveable as can be) but I just may end up with a few more gray hairs ;)

2 comments:

  1. What an active little guy...I feel you with the exhaustion. We have a sleepless, teething toddle here too. Mix that with a newborn or in your case a growing baby inside eating up your energy and I don't blame you for the tears. I keep trying to remind myslef that these stages won't last long and before I know they won't need or want us as much. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silas first climbed out of his crib long before he did it on a regular bases. If that makes sense.... So hopefully the novelty will wear off for Connor and he'll want to just SLEEP in his crib!

    ReplyDelete