Time Out
Naughty Chair
Corner Time
Naughty Step
My friend, Angel, was over this morning with her two kids for a play date. We had just been talking about behavior and I asked what age was 'appropriate' to start using time out as a form of discipline. Before we could really decide if we actually knew the best age to start (Does anyone REALLY know the best time?!? I feel like so many parenting this are trial and error!!!) my crazy kid starts swatting Silas in the face!! I made him apologize and left him to play only to see him right back at it moments later. Well...I guess TODAY was the day to initiate time outs for Connor.
He was plopped down on the floor near the bottom of the steps, away from all toys and the 2 other kids. He tried to get up a couple of times and go back to playing & also repeatedly told me, "All done." I didn't set a timer and only made him actually sit there for a minute or so and then asked him to apologize again. I reminded him that it isn't kind to hit his friends and then let him go back to playing. Well...Connor ended up with 2 more time outs before the play time was over...good times....
Clearly we have reached the stage of testing, pushing boundaries and trying to figure out who is really in charge. FYI Connor, Mommy & Daddy ARE IN CHARGE!!!! ;) I've been reminded that consistency is key so I'll be trying hard to stay consistent & keep a level head.
Time out spot, I hope we don't spend too much time together!!!
Any of you have a term you use for time out or tips of the trade? What works/worked with your kids when they choose to disobey?
I wonder when that stage begins too. Tanner has just entered into the "crying because I don't have EXACTLY what I want" stage. I read "Happiest Toddler on the Block" by Dr Harvey Karp. Some stuff sounds a little crazy but seemes to work (learning patience, feeling listened to etc.) even on Tanner who is just 1. Also my sister tried some of the techniques on her 4 year old and they were effective too. Good luck with your little guy...he sounds funny/cute even when he is being a little naughty.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like "terrible twos" start at this age, Naomi. With both my girls it was right around the year and a half mark. I guess we always called it a "time out" and we are consistent, like you said. Or at least we try to be consistent, I'm never claiming to be perfect.
ReplyDelete