My phone was beeping at 5:30 AM the other morning, alerting me that I had a text message. I sleepily rolled over to read it and saw a message from my mom saying "call me when you are up". I know she is sometimes up in the morning and can't get back to sleep so I figured she had thought of something to ask or tell me and wanted to text me before she forgot to call me later. I wasn't ready to wake up quite yet, so I rolled over knowing I would be up soon enough with Connor, and I would call her then.
At 6:30 AM I woke up to my phone ringing. I came to just in time to see I had missed a call from my mom. Something must be up if she is now calling me this early?! I quickly called her back and here is what I found to be so urgent at that early hour.

Our truck, which had been parked just in front of our house when I went to bed, was now crashed underneath our apple tree. WHAT?!!?!!!?

My brother was up early in the morning to feed the cows while my dad was out of town and as he walked up the driveway toward my house and the barns he happened to notice our truck was not in it's usual place...but about 100 yards away in the orchard. He told me he grabbed a stick or board (just in case) and walked over to the truck. He found it still running, with the passenger side door partially open and left in reverse. He turned it off, locked it and went back to my parents house, wondering what in the world was going on?

Long story short we ended up calling the police to report this ODD occurence. We were informed that there have been a string of vehicle incidences in our area and most have been linked to highschool aged kids that are just getting out of school and finding trouble. HOODLUMS!!!!

Our 'lucky truck' escaped without more than a couple of minor scratches. We don't know what time of night/early morning this all went down or just how long our truck was left running, crashed into our poor apple tree. We are thankful that the thug(s) responsible for the crash didn't actually take off with our truck and that no serious damage was done.
We learned a couple of lessons.
1) DO NOT leave the keys in your vehicle. This is not a habit for either of us anyway, but Rick admits that on occasion he does do it
2) LOCK YOUR VEHICLE to help deter hoodlums from such foolish acts
Here's to hoping that those hoodlums find themselves a summer job & keep out of our driveway!
No comments:
Post a Comment