Thursday, January 19, 2012

Labor & Delivery - Nolan's Birth Story

I sat down with Rick just yesterday to go back through the details of Nolan's arrival. I made some notes & have a timeline of the events leading up to the birth of our little addition. I always enjoy hearing about a babies birth story. Each one is different, unique & just as special as the tiny new life that comes from this momentous event!

**Here is our journey to meeting Nolan Richard**
2:15 AM - I woke up from a contraction & had to go to the bathroom. Went back to sleep.
2:30 AM - Woke up by another contraction & another 'need' to go...hmmmmmm. Laid back down on the couch & drifted off to sleep once more.
2:50 AM - Once more awakened by contraction & a final trip to the bathroom.
(I had heard from many women about multiple bathroom visits like this prior to labor...not just for going #1 ;) So after my second trip I had already started to wonder if this could be a sign that something was about to begin). I tried to go back to sleep after this but noticed that contractions continued...I hadn't began timing them yet.
3:31 AM - After laying on the couch for over a half an hour & not sleeping I decided I better start timing things to see how close my contractions were. 3:35, 3:41, 3:44, 3:48, 3:52, 3:57...I was surprised at how consistant they were!!!!
3:57 AM - I called Rick at work and let him know what was going on & that he should probably leave as soon as he could. I also called my mom so that she could plan to come up to our house & be here when Connor woke up. I got in the shower & continued timing my contractions. 4:01, 4:06, 4:09, 4:11, 4:14, 4:16, 4:19, 4:23, 4:26, 4:28, 4:31...definitely no change, in fact...they were getting closer together & some of them were getting stronger. Every 3rd or 4th contraction seemed stronger & longer than the previous few & some of the in between ones were pretty short & much less intense.
4:31 AM - Done with my shower, I called Rick to confirm where he was at on his drive home & I kept getting ready to leave. Contractions continued for the next hour at 3-5 minutes apart & Rick called his dad to let him know what was going on.
5:34 AM - My last documented contraction at home. Soon after that we left for the hospital!!! Rick called his mom while were were driving to the hospital & said "this is not a false alarm!" On our drive to the hospital I noticed my contractions has started to slow down...I began to worry that maybe this was a false alarm :( I told Rick I was nervous that they'd send us home once we got there.
5:47 AM - Called the hospital & spoke to nurse on the Labor & Delivery floor to give them a heads up we were coming in. She asked about my contractions & just said "You are more than welcome to come in & get checked." I hung up with them feeling even more discouraged/worried...she didn't seem concerned at all that my contractions had been 3-5 minutes apart for almost 2 full hours!!! I had been texting with my best friend Missy while we were driving told her my fear of being sent home. Without skipping a beat she reminded me to think positive thoughts & also reminded me her contractions had slowed when they drove to the hospital & that sometimes you are having contractions that your body doesn't really even feel...when they get the monitors on you at the hospital they'll see how frequent they really are! Whew!! Thank you Missy! I settled down & knew that time would tell us just when this baby would arrive :)
6:15 AM - Arrived at the Labor & Delivery nurses station, signed some paperwork, breathed through a contraction, gave a urine sample, breathed through another contraction, was escorted to a triage room & eventually got changed into a hospital gown & hooked up to monitors.
6:45 AM - The nurse had just hooked up the monitors & was explaining to me that she would check my cervix to see how far dilated I was. "You have to be at least 4 cm for us to keep you. If you aren't that far yet you are welcome to stay for an hour & walk the halls. We'll check you again after that and see if anything has changed, ok?" Of course we agreed. Well, a quick check revealed that I was DEFINITELY going to stay!! I was dilated to 6/7 cm & about 80% effaced...this most certainly was NOT a false alarm!!

7:00 AM - Followed nurse Cheryl to my delivery room, stopped twice on our way for contractions...each time I had one I was relieved to be reminded this was really happening! We got into our room & then waited for another nurse to come in. Deb arrived soon & went over some general questions with me, got me settled and hooked up to monitors again, started & IV drip & we talked a little bit about pain management & keeping labor progressing.
8:15 AM - Decided to walk the hallways for about a half & hour & then have another cervial check. Contractions remained about 3-5 minutes apart but were getting stronger. I kept breathing through them & remember thinking how different this was from my labor with Connor. (I had been induced & was just now realizing how STRONG/HARD the contractions with Connor were because of the pitocin.)
8:45 AM - We went back to the room & soon after Deb stopped back & said she'd come in soon to check me once more. They were BEYOND BUSY from the night before & that morning...lots of babies coming & several c-sections were keeping the nurses & doctors on their toes.
9:15 AM - Deb returned & checked my cervix. I was dilated to an 8/9 & almost fully effaced. We talked about pain meds & she said that the doctor could break my water at pretty much any time I was "ready" & I would probably deliver the baby very quickly after that. I momentarily considered going without drugs only because I had made it this far already...and then I snapped back to reality & said, "I'd like to do the intrathecal." Deb put in a call for an Anethesiologist & I just kept on breathing :)
9:30 AM - Intrathecal was in!! We waited about 15 minutes to make sure the meds could take full effect & then the doctor came in to break my water. I was almost fully dilated at this point & Dr. Friese said it would just be a matter of time!! Soon after they broke my water we let the Grandma's come in...it was a surprise to both of our mom's that they'd get to witness the birth of their grandchild!! I wasn't feeling any contractions at all at this point & the nurse told me several times I was having a lot of contractions...it was crazy to know that was going on yet I felt nothing...relief from the pain was wonderful & allowed me a little time to "rest" in preparation for pushing!!
10:30 AM - Dr. Friese made it into our room & it was time to PUSH!! A few contractions & pushes later and....
10:39 AM - Nolan Richard Bittner was born!!!


Rick & I could NOT believe how quickly Nolan's delivery went! After my first push my nurse Deb said, "Look at all that dark hair!" And I remember them saying "Baby will be crowning soon." SOON?! What?! After my first push!?!?!? I pushed for 2 1/2 LOOOONG hours with Connor & remember it taking forever to get any word of a head crowning!! Like I said, each birth is unique & special (and Praise the Lord...this second time around for me was MUCH faster!!) Another contraction & another set of pushes & his head was out. Dr. Friese turned him & suctioned his nose & mouth. Another contraction & pushing and Nolan was out!!

It's a BOY!!!!!

And just like that we became a family of four!!

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing,fun,miraculous story! And yes us grandmas were pleasantly surprised! It was wonderful to see our precious grandchild born! You have a beautiful family! God has blessed you beyond measure! We love you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job keeping track of all the details! I loved reading about Nolan's sweet entry into the world. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete