I had been meaning to post about my 'new reality'...just a few things that I wanted to remember about this new beginning as a mother of two...
Rick went back to work on a Monday night, January 23rd to be exact. I knew that this date would mark yet another beginning to our "life in transition mode". Rick going back to work meant me tackling bedtime on my own...with 2 boys. In all honestly this had me more stressed out than any other thing I was going to have to tackle alone. Bed time with Connor has been a rough road since August of this past summer & I knew that adding a newborn baby to the mix wasn't going to make it any easier. I won't go into the whole 1 1/2 hour long battle with you...but I will just say that at more than one point during that first night alone I was walking Connor back into his bedroom while nursing Nolan. I made multiple trips upstairs (some of them while also nursing Nolan). I eventually sat on the edge of my bed (just down the hallway from Connor's door) so I could be closer to 'catch' him while coming out of his room & eventually I ended up losing my cool & yelling at him about staying in bed. *SIGH* A lose-lose for both of us :(
The second night that Rick was gone I tried to mentally prepare myself for another LOOOONG bed time battle. He had missed his nap that day though & once bed time rolled around he fell asleep almost before we finished saying our prayers. I strolled out of his room with a sigh of relief knowing I was going to get at least a little down time for myself that night!! I got 2 hours...at 10 PM Connor woke up with croup & the next 1 1/2 hours were a blurr of a screaming, coughing/barking, wheezing 2 year old, a hungry & screaming infant & a near tears mommy trying hard to juggle both boys & a nebulizer machine. When the dust settled & Connor was back in bed & Nolan had been fed I texted Rick and said "I miss you." I filled him in on our eventful night & he said all that he could "I'm sorry you have to do it alone."
The following day brought one more note worthy occurrence. I was nursing Nolan while sitting on the couch in our living room. Connor walked around the corner from our kitchen & strolled over to me with a fist full of poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried hard to keep my cool so that Mr. Poop Hands wouldn't go running & spread the mess...we made it to the bathroom & got cleaned up. *SIGH AGAIN* I knew this was going to be a tough week but wow...who knew this would be on the horizon?! Well, to top off the day, Connor decided to let Rick in on the poop action & he pulled this stunt once more just as Rick was coming downstairs from sleeping (once again...I was nursing Nolan).
All I can say is that bed time for us is still a major battle some nights...but slowly...we're figuring out this 'new reality' & navigating all things as best as we possibly can! Life is good...the tough stuff just gets rolled right in with all the good & I can assure you it certainly keeps things interesting ;)
I seriously got choked up for you imagining the strees while reading the paragraph when Connor got croup and plus a newborn all alone at night. Wish I lived closer!! Soon enough the transition will just be a faint memory!
ReplyDelete