Wednesday, October 26, 2011

2 Year Update

FINALLY...the official stats for our 2 year old boy!!! Connor turned 2 on October 11th & we made it to the doctor on the 26th...here are the results.

Weight: 24 lb. 1 oz. (7.3%) He is up from all of his previous appointments...gaining a few fat cells...although we still don't really see any ;)
Height: 2' 9.75" (29%)
Head: 19.69" (81.7%)


***I've sprinkled in a few pictures of Connor from the past 6 months for you to enjoy in the midst of this update***
Activities
Connor continues to be an active & busy little boy. He LOVES being outside! He sprints around our yard/farm & inspects all of his favorite spots. He has developed a love for construction equipment & is VERY good at identifying many types of equipment. Car rides are fun & entertaining for him because he is constantly on the look out for excavators, cement trucks, water towers, phone towers, semi-trucks, big rigs, windmills, flags, school buses etc. He sees things that Rick & I don't even catch many times!!! His favorite toys right now are basically anything with wheels. Matchbox cars, tractors, diggers, dump trucks & the like are constantly covering our floors. If you stop in for a visit just watch your step...something is generally underfoot ;)

Connor also still very much enjoys being read to. He tends to ask for the same books over & over...many times we read the same books all day long! I have started to ask him to read some books to me & sometimes he will agree to this. It is adorable & fun to listen to him "read" back the parts that he has memorized.

Connor has a great memory & for the most part can/will easily identify all of the letters in the alphabet, sing the ABC's & identify numbers 1-10. Repetition was the key to him learning all of this info...he has a few toys that say letters & numbers when you press the buttons & I can't tell you how many times I've heard "B says buh, B says buh...every letter makes a sound...." All that button pushing certainly paid off!!

He also loves brushing his teething, washing his hands & bath time is a constant hit!! He likes to wash his hair & will often say "Connor do it!" when we get to that point in the bath. He knows what going to the potty means, but isn't showing genuine interest/readiness in potty-training at this point...all in good timing :)

Vocab

Connor continues to expand his vocabulary each day. We've caught him repeating phrases when we don't think he is listening & have had to remind ourselves to choose "appropriate" words. Don't worry...we're not dropping any bombs around home...but no one REALLY wants to hear my two year old running around say "Oh my gosh...oh my gosh....!!!"

He will often start a sentence with the phrase, "I gotta ______________" This makes me laugh just because the use of gotta seems to imply & urgency that isn't really there. LIke when he says "I gotta kiss the baby" or "I gotta get some more milk" or "I gotta feed some corn (to the cows)." He's JUST GOTTA do whatever it is that he is talking about!! He also follows up & identification of an object with "right there!" on a regular basis...ie; "That's a BIG windmill, right there!" "That's a fire extinguisher, right there!"

Eating & Sleeping

Connor is an ALL OUT milk lover! This is wonderful but still makes me laugh when I think back to the amount of time it took for us to reach this point with him! He snatches up ANY chance to have a juicebox that comes across his path & he gets watered down juice from us or just plain water when he isn't drinking milk. He is still drinking whole milk & I guess the plan is to keep him on that for now...not like he's getting too much fat in his diet at this point :)

He also still loves almost all fruit (apples are his #1 love right now) & does a generally ok job with veggies (peas, carrots, squash & corn are favorites). He is getting better & eating meats other than just chicken. For a while there I felt like it was a battle for him to even try the meat. I believe that him feeding himself has helped somewhat with this. He generally refuses to allow anyone to spoon feed him, he has a stubborn streak & wants to DO IT HIMSELF!!!!

And just like any kid, he is all about a good treat or two when they're offered! He can often be spotted trying to mooch cheeseballs or chips from Rick, digging for a fruit snack in our cupboards or requesting a cookie if he spots me in a certain cupboard where he knows they are stored. Hopefully 'all things in moderation' will continue to be our motto & we'll end up with a well balanced eater!!!!

I know I have recently posted on our transition to a 'big boy bed' & things are about the same. Connor generally still sleeps through the night & is continuing to wake up EARLY!! And as I said before some nights/nap times are really easy & others take much more effort to get him to stay in bed. He is becoming more & more attached to a stuffed animal or two & likes to "snuggle" with them when it is time to sleep. He also will randomly take a truck, car or school bus up to bed with him...this is fine with me as long as he STAYS in bed & GOES to SLEEP!!! ;)

We are truly loving this age. Communicating with Connor is funny & often interesting & we continue to find ourselves impressed with our smart little boy (I know...we're biased of course...but what parent isn't??!!?!)

There never seems to be a dull moment with this guy...goofy glasses, tickles & giggles, emptied containers of baby wipes or rooms covered with toy trucks & cars...parenting Connor is an adventure that we continue to love & learn to navigate.

And when this chocolately grin is staring back at you, asking for snuggles, giving "big squeezes", running around "so fast", saying "bedtime prayers", or saying "I wub oooh"....well we just have to say how blessed we are by this beautiful little boy.

And we really can't wait to see what a wonderful big brother he will become!!!


We won't be back to the doctor for another "official" weigh in/check up until Connor turns 3!! I almost can't believe that we're past the point of weekly then every few months & even every 6 months check ups. I guess this means we've got a toddler on our hands...officially!!

No comments:

Post a Comment